So Wendy shared her 2014 Recap (which she was inspired by Megan,) and I really enjoyed reading it. I could relate because her answers sparked quite a few similar responses and memories from 2014. One in particular is my new found admiration for Taylor Swift and how impressed I am with her.
I always feel odd writing about myself in this fashion, but I really wanted to document one of the best years we’ve had in awhile. As I scrolled through my Instagram, I realized I learned so much, and not all of it was easy breezy, but it was peaceful and I was happy.
1. What did you do in 2014 that you’d never done before?
Met Drew Barrymore (my crush) and Adam Sandler. Saw Coldplay perform, took Tot to her first concert: Sir Paul McCartney. Made a wish on a wish lantern and traveled solo out of the country without my family. Saw Ozzy Osbourne play in a tiny bar and was chosen to participate in Terranea’s Social Media Influence Weekend.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolution, and will you make more for next year?
I decided for 2015, I’m going to turn down the white noise and just stay focused. Listen to my gut, remain grateful for the little things, smile more, meet new people and concentrate on my legacy.
Blogging: Introduce a weekly Instagram program. Work more on photography staging.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes! Lola Wertman made the world a better place! And I think there might have been a cable outage because so many friends I know are having babies in 2015.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Someone special to our family passed away this Thanksgiving unexpectedly.
5. What countries did you visit?
6. What would you like to have in 2015 that you lacked in 2014?
More great concerts, more quality time with my girlfriends, more yoga and more travel + blogging conferences.
7. What dates from 2014 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
The day Tot’s magazine cover hit the stands; being sent to the hospital and the fire alarm debacle of 2014.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Finding happiness, being content and paying special attention to my mind, body and soul.
Oh, and The JetSet Family having the BIGGEST YEAR EVER!
9. What was your biggest failure?
Not reading or writing as much as I would have liked to.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
The first week of December I ended up in the hospital unexpectedly. A routine blood test showed that I was severely anemic. I was in need of a blood transfusion. Happy to report, all is well and under control!
11. What was the best thing you bought?
A new car. I desperately needed a new one after all these years and finally got the car of my dreams: this station wagon! I named her Veruca Salt.
I can’t wait to share with you my “What to Buy Me for My Birthday” list going live next week 🙂
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Taylor Swift. (After writing this, I noticed Wendy had the same answer…ha!) Before 2014,I only ever noticed her style on the red carpet (remember that fabulous Gucci at The GRAMMY Awards?) This year, I began to catch TS on many interviews while promoting 1985 and admired how eloquent she is, and how lovely she treats her fans. I’m happy for her success and that my daughter has a wholesome (age-appropriate) celebrity role-model to look up to.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Someone whom I thought to be a truly wonderful person, threatened my husband. I do not condone violence in any shape or form and I found it appalling.
14. Where did most of your money go?
I wish I had a glamorous answer, but the truth is: bills.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
After a few years of not touring, I won tickets (off the radio!) to see a super small Foo Fighters show at The Roxy in West Hollywood. It wasn’t a concert, it was a party where my two favorite performers (Dave Grohl and Perry Farrell of Jane’s Addiction) shared the stage, drank Veuve Cliquot and danced. Easily, the best night of 2014.
16. What song will always remind you of 2014?
Blank Space – Taylor Swift
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder?
b) thinner or fatter?
c) richer or poorer?
b.) thinner (4 lbs., but still it counts!)
c.) richer (Not by much, but blogging was good to me in 2014!)
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
More Girls Night Outs, try out some new recipes and spend more time volunteering at school.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Dreaming instead of doing! Consuming caffeine.
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
This was the best Christmas morning we’ve ever had despite my 102 fever. Unfortunately, I had to stay home later that night to rest, but Hubs + Tot ventured down to dinner in Dana Point to celebrate with some special people in our lives.
21. What was your favorite TV program?
Sonic Highways + Anthony Bourdain Parts Unknown.
22. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
This is an awful question, and I don’t hate anyone.
23. What was the best book you read?
I can’t believe I have to answer “N/A”.
24. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Let me get back to you on this one.
25. What did you want and get?
I really wanted to try a pair of Tieks by Gavrieli and love them. I hope there are more in my future.
26. What did you want and not get?
There were a few blog campaigns I hoped to be a part of and a winning lottery ticket.
27. What was your favorite film of this year?
Boyhood + Rudderless
28. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
Wow. It was my 39th birthday and I have no idea how I spent it. It’s the big 4-0 in 23 days, and I have big plans.
29. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Much more traveling with Hubs + Tot. We spent much of the 2014 year saving up for 2015 home repairs/improvements and travel. With the exception of Loreto, Mexico, we went of a few local staycations to Newport Beach, Los Angeles and San Diego.
30. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2014?
The same for the last twenty-five years: Banana Republic meets Urban Outfitters.
31. What kept you sane?
Music + my daughter. I would be with her 24/7 if I could.
32. Which Instagram did you fancy the most?
I adore Luxury Travel Mom‘s escapades + and really enjoyed following LaJolla Mom, especially during her time at the Christmas markets in Germany this year. Though they’ve never met, our daughters both love travel, fashion, food + dolls so it’s fun to watch their similarities.
33. What political issue stirred you the most?
34. Who do you miss?
Everyone. I hope to spend more face-to-face time with friends + family in 2015.
35. Who was the best new person you met?
I got to know quite a few amazing bloggers better this year, and had a blast with one in particular on a press trip we took to Mexico. I also rekindled a few friendships that have been on hiatus.
37. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
“There are places I don’t remember
There are faces I don’t remember
How could I forget you painted stars into the sky?
Coming like a rebirth marching in a second line”
– Foo Fighters | In The Clear (Sonic Highways)
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2014.
1. The people you “cut out of your life,” usually have cut you out first.
2. Do not judge others based on what other people say. You could miss out on some pretty amazing friends because of the insecurities of others.
3. I only write the words, you are going to interpret them however you are feeling at that moment.
38. My biggest revelation?
How much I truly appreciate instant gratification. The things that are handed to me, or come into my life naturally + organically, I consider treasured gifts. I value them with my whole heart and soul. I will protect them and love them more than anything. When I have to work hard for something, wait for something, or am force to earn it, I lose interest immediately and don’t end up appreciating it.
Oh, and be careful what you wish for!
39. What is your word for 2015?