This post was sponsored by P&G as part of an Influencer Activation for Influence Central. I received complimentary products + compensation to facilitate my review.
In our home, summer lasts from Memorial Day straight through to Labor Day and you can bet those weeks will be filled with lots of music, fun, laughter, later bedtimes and BBQs! Not to sound all doom and gloom, but the other day I did the math and figured out that I only have 9 summers lefts until Kiddo leaves for college. It’s scary to think I’m already at the halfway mark. You bet I’m trying my hardest to hold on for the ride and make the most of every single moment. Trust me, maximizing every moment doesn’t come easy when it includes navigating life filled with family trips, swim practice and day camps. Unfortunately, that doesn’t always leave much time for house cleaning.
It’s officially summer break and let me be very clear, I’m not a fan of clutter, and even less of a fan of dirt. In order to beat the dust & dirt and save my sanity while trying to juggle work, play, errands, and life, I’ve adopted and fine-tuned a daily 10-minute clean routine. Over the years which helps me clean a bit each day so that I’m not a slave to my Swiffer Sweeper.
I don’t mean to pat myself on the back, but I have to say, it works really well for our lifestyle. I’m always amazed at how neat and tidy my home can be just by devoting a few minutes each day to every room using P&G Household Needs products I grabbed from Costco, compared to when I slack a few days and it looks like the aftermath of Coachella.
Then when Saturday mornings roll around and I have a little more flexibility, I give each room (especially the bathrooms and kitchen,) the deep cleaning and attention it deserves. I like to think by now I have it down to a science and the process is pretty calculated. The very first thing I do is start a load of laundry.
There’s something about the spin cycle, the continuous sound of the vibrating drum going round and round gets me in a house cleaning groove. And I should mention there is also something really comforting about the familiar scent of Downy Unstopables coming from the laundry room into the remainder of the house. Even the smallest whiff, and POOF! I’m a kid again.
By the time I am done with straightening up, the clothes are ready to be transferred into the dryer and I can hop into the shower and get on with my day. I want the house to feel fresh and smell clean, it makes me recall spending summers at my grandmother’s house when I was young.
The days were hot, but the mornings were cool when she would carefully hang each piece of clothing up on the clothesline to dry in the warm sunshine. I can’t help but smile. Summertime is meant for memories, and remember… the details matter.
Details Matter: Tips for 10-Minute Cleaning
- First, make the beds. This will immediately make a huge difference.
- Toss any dirty clothes in the hamper. If you don’t have any, count your blessings, because my 9 year old leaves them around the house like breadcrumbs. For even more fun, try to make it a 3-point shot from across the room.
- Work corner to corner. Make a plan to work your way out of the room. It allows you to cover so much more rather than if you were to jump around from spot to spot.
- Dust high-to-low starting with the ceiling fans. Head to your cleaning basket, grab the Swiffer Duster and get to work. Doing a light dusting daily will prevent hard to remove dirt build-up. This is also a great tool to have since the kids can easily use it themselves.
- Quickly run a vacuum across the floor to pick up any dust bunnies and then add a layer of shine with your Swiffer Wet Jet to really give the room that extra clean feeling.
- Clean as you go. Never leave a room empty-handed. Get in the habit to straighten up as you go.
- For the bathroom, kitchen and pesky fingerprints and germs, my weapon of choice is Mr. Clean Magic Erasers. They are the best at tackling the toughest of dirt and grime, and safe on lots of surfaces.
- What’s that smell? Give each room a quick spritz of Febreze Air Effects on the way out! Even though I clean daily, I’m still paranoid about being nose blind and I love the light, fresh scent.
- Create a 10-Minute Clean Bin with the products you need most. Everything is together and easy to get to.
- Make it fun. Not only do I set the time 10-minutes for each room to try my best to “Beat The Clock,” but you can bet I’m also jamming to some serious tunes in the background.
Promotional consideration has been furnished by P&G. On occasion, contributors of The JetSet Family receive products, compensation and/or services gratis or at discounted rates. This practice does not hinder the influencer’s point of view. All descriptions are factual and accurately reflect the overall experience. This post may contain affiliate links.